In the past, Marlene Wright—Manager of Product Strategy & Integration—has had a role that was mainly customer driven (where other managers would reach out to ODDI for guidance on using new tools), but in 2013 she plans on changing things up.
Here’s a short Google+ Hangout interview that I did with Wright where she lays out some of her ideas [4min 7sec]:
1) In 2013, Wright will work with ODDI staff to examine all the digital products offered and then work with the language services to determine what products would be best for them. Since each language service has a vastly different audience base, Wright sees the value in letting each language service have more flexibility.
2) The ODDI team is in the process of changing to a new online video-audio platform (OVAP). They expect this to vastly enhance the user experience and streamline the behind-the-scenes efforts as well.
3) The ‘Mobile Umbrella App’ is coming out in 2013. This app is expected to be an easier tool for language services to syndicate media to and for users to access.
4) Wright wants BBG folks to be able to know what their digital space is all about. In addition to focusing on TV and audio programming, she would like to familiarize language services with best practices and ways to more actively engage their target audiences. She wants to make future digital product and social media training fun—all the while, letting staff know there’s real professional (and personal) value in their efforts.
- – - – -
(Thank you to Marlene Wright for her contributions to this post. To contact her: mwright [at] bbg [dot] gov)
(The foregoing commentary does not constitute endorsement by the US Government, the Broadcasting Board of Governors, VOA, MBN, OCB, RFA, or RFE/RL of the information products or services discussed.)
Latest posts by April Deibert (see all)
- A Snapshot of Journalism Labs: HuffPost Labs - May 21, 2013
- A Snapshot of Journalism Labs: Northwest University Knight Lab - May 14, 2013
- A Snapshot of Journalism Labs: New York Times Research & Development Lab - May 7, 2013
- Optimizing Thumbnails and Metadata on YouTube: An ‘Easy Button’ Guide For Journalists - May 3, 2013
- Part 2 of 2: International Broadcasting in the Era of Social Media - May 2, 2013